Re: [Xen-users] ARM: Xen on Vexpress

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 17:09:22, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 13:21 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:27:11, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > > http://community.arm.com/groups/processors/blog/2014/03/28/virtualization-on-arm-with-xen
> > >  has an example initscript in it which seems to suggest that
> > >         mount -t devtmpfs dev /dev
> > >         /sbin/udevd --daemon
> > >         udevadm trigger --action=add
> > > should do the right thing (I was advising Andrew when he wrote
> > > that and it sounds familiar to me to). If you are going to skip
> > > the usual /sbin/init based setup then I would recommend you use
> > > something akin to the init.sh proposed in that blog post (it
> > > doesn't look like it is terribly openSUSE specific, but YMMV).
> >
> > Thanks. It looks like that helped. The VM creation no more prints
> > any error (about creating terminals, previously) when it returns the
> > shell prompt. 'xl list' lists a guest by name 'guest'. However, when
> > I execute 'xl console guest', the command goes dead; there are no
> > verbose logs even if I pass -vvv to xl.
> >
> > It's almost the same effect if I run the command 'xl -vvv create
> > guest.cfg -c', that it appears stuck and doesn't return prompt.
>
> [...]
>
> It's also worth double checking that you have a multiplatform kernel
> configuration with no DEBUG_LL options enabled, since any UART which
> that might point to will not exist within a guest. I think the option
> conflicts with CONFIG_MULTIPLATFORM so I guess it is unlikely that you
> have it enabled.

Crikey, Both CONFIG_MULTIPLATFORM and DEBUG_LL were enabled in my
config. I've disabled the latter for further runs. Thanks.

Another thing I realized was that I didn't use the 'losetup' command to
setup a backend for /dev/loop0.

Having made the fixes above, I'm now able to launch DomU, and later use
'xl console guest' to get a shell! Phew!

One hiccup is that I can't quit the shell from DomU, as it's init is
/bin/sh and it'll be killed on exit. Because I'm using the same file
system as Dom0, DomU wouldn't be able to start upstart either. So I
can't find a way to go back to Dom0 once I'm in DomU!

--
Jeenu

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered
in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ,
Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782