Re: [Xen-users] VGA pass-through to Linux

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Daniel Shub <Daniel.Shub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 19:32:37 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 18:34:16 +0000

> On 4 Jul 2014, at 04:40, "Robert Rust" <rjrbytes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Howdy folks.  I'm trying to set up a DomU with Linux for my kids to play
> games on ... passing it a video card, a USB card and a sound card.  I've had
> no success getting the video card to do anything that I can tell.  When I try
> to tell the domU to use gfx_passthru, I end up with 100% CPU usage and no
> apparent activity.  I've tried installing the AMD drivers but that has
> usually resulted in a system that either has X respawning on login via VNC,
> or what appears to be a secondary desktop on VNC that doesn't seem to have a
> pointer.
> OS: Ubuntu 14.04 ... I'm open to using others, but would prefer something
> Ubuntu-based
> video card: Radeon HD6450.  I also have a Radeon HD4350 available (and the
> motherboard has two 16x PCIe slots.

Primary VGA pass through (i.e., gfx_passthru) seems to be much more difficult
than secondary pass through. I would take a look at that. I have had pretty
good luck with using AMD cards with an Arch Dom0 and both an Arch and a Debian
DomU.This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in
error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not
use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any
attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you
are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the