[Xen-users] mount DomU root fs via. NFS

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeenu Viswambharan <Jeenu.Viswambharan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 18:03:52 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 17:05:12 +0000

Hi,

I've Dom0 running on Vexpress with the file system mounted via. NFS. I'm
also trying to get the DomU file system mounted via. NFS.

Because the Dom0 file system is already mounted via. NFS, I believe I
can't use bridging because that'd involve taking the eth0 interface
down. A quick search suggested that bringing eth0 down will freeze the
system. I therefore instead chose to go with NAT instead.

From [1], all that's to be done in Dom0 is to

  echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

And I've in my guest configuration:

  vif = [ "script=vif-nat,ip=192.168.1.1" ]
  extra = "... root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=my.ip.add.ress:/path/to/root ..."

What I see is the guest waits to mount root file system, and later times
out and crashes. I do see messages like

  [  687.170573] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): vif3.0: link becomes ready

from Dom0. But, presumably, requests from guest aren't reaching the NFS
server.

Could you suggest if and what's wrong with my setup? Is NAT the right
mechanism for this purpose?

Thanks.

--
Jeenu

[1]
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Host_Configuration/Networking#Network_Address_Translation_.28NAT.29

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are
medium.  Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered
in England & Wales, Company No:  2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ,
Registered in England & Wales, Company No:  2548782