Re: [Xen-users] Is it safe to use qemu's QMP socket for controlling a Xen HVM?

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There's a syntax  you can use in xl.cfg files to pass more options to
> the device model, I think you can use that to create your own QMP socket
> to use.
>
> Of course depending on what you do you may also end up confusing libxl
> down the road (probably not with a USB plug though).

I've been using TCP-based QMP socket for hot USB plug/unplug with
QEMU's qmp-shell module for quite some time now without any issues.
Please note that this is for my home machine though; I haven't tried
it in any real production environment yet.

The following configuration enables QMP socket for qemu-xen on TCP
port 4444, bound to 127.0.0.1:

device_model_version = "qemu-xen"
device_model_args = ["-qmp", "tcp:localhost:4444,server,nowait"]

You can plug/unplug USB devices using the following commands (replace
IDs with your custom values):

Plug:
echo "device_add driver=usb-host vendorid=0x08e6 productid=0x3438
id=usbreader" | qmp-shell localhost:4444

Unplug:
echo "device_del id=usbreader" | qmp-shell localhost:4444

Works like charm in 4.3, 4.4...

Best regards,
Andrej