Re: [Xen-users] xen 4.5-unstable, oxenstored cannot start (centos 7, kernel 3.17.0)

On Fri, Oct 10, Olaf Hering wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 10, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2014-10-10 at 14:42 +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > > Yes, --enable-systemd requires that the tools are started by systemd.
> >
> > It shouldn't / mustn't.
> >
> > --enable-systemd is supposed to enable things to run under systemd *if*
> > it is present, by enabling socket activation etc, not to break
> > non-systemd systems.
> >
> > i.e. it's supposed to enable distros who support multiple init systems
> > to only provide a single Xen binary.
>
> It is currently not coded that way.
>
> If the system was booted with systemd, and if staging is compiled with
> --enable-systemd --prefix=/odd/path, and if I run
> /odd/path/etc/init.d/xencommons start then xenstored will recognize that
> systemd is running. But it does not recognize that xenstore was not
> started by systemd itself. As a result socket activation will fail.

And another change should be to wrap the code in
tools/hotplug/Linux/Makefile:install-initd in a ifneq($(CONFIG_SYSTEMD),y)
to have either one or the other. But that would break the support for
one package for both sysv and systemd.

Up to now I have not checked how systemd support works in real life.
Looks like systemd has trouble to decide if sysv or service files should
be used. Or the OP has to enable all service files manually.

Olaf