[Xen-users] RFC: clocksource={xen, tsc} difference between Debian PV and HV

Hello,

while running a simple "sysbench --test=memory run" benchmark I noticed
the following strange behavior: Using "clocksource=tsc" as clock-source
both PV and HV are nearly the same, but with "clocksource=xen" PV is 4-5
times worse than HV. I would have expected the reverse:

Testing Debian-7 PV:
# cd /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0
# echo xen > current_clocksource && sysbench --test=memory run
    total time:                          634.1719s
# echo tsc > current_clocksource && sysbench --test=memory run
    total time:                          71.2846s

Testing Debian-7 HV:
# cd /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0
# echo tsc > current_clocksource && sysbench --test=memory run
    total time:                          72.5056s
# echo xen > current_clocksource && sysbench --test=memory run
    total time:                          140.1519s

Is this normal and how can this be explained?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Philipp Hahn
--
Philipp Hahn