[Xen-users] HVM vs PV vs PVHVM vs PVH and then there was DirectIO - Now that's quite to swallow!

Had an interesting conversation with Ian Campbell, regarding the general "what to"... Which led us to
this link:

Which brought up the concern of how do we stay on top of things? What do we stay clear
from (ie becoming obsolete) in the current world of virutalization, how do we equip ourselves moving forward...

For the "depends what you're trying to accomplish", it's the same bare metal server with virtual instances each serving up different services (eg, HTTP, SMTP, Video, VoIP....). Basically domus banging out packets as efficient as possible. Emphasis on performance and reliability... Also, there is the required ability for live migrations, seamless redundancy so on and so forth.

The question:

As we seek this "silver bullet", what are some configuration people are using out there for production mission critical set-ups. As a means of limiting the scope, I am referring to the XEN setup itself. We could possibly talk about how NFS and NAS/SAN fit into the equation however, no need to talk about OpenAIS and clustering suites used for fail over and alike tasks..

What I am about to suggest is a IOMMU enabled setup with line cards that support VF and putting on a basic XEN environment with HVM. Is this Âthe direction that is being sought as the "best performing" and "secure". Anyone using PVH? Will those setups perform better than direct I/O.

Your insights on setups with near host performance are greatly appreciate!

Nick from Toronto.Â