Re: [Xen-users] [RESOLVED] Windows VM does not see NIC; "22 feature-rx-notify is mandatory" in dmesg

After installing 3.16.7-ckt4-2 from sid my NIC came back! Woohoo!

Elias said "long story, ask Google" though I don't know what to ask
Google. When I search for "feature-rx-notify mandatory", all I seem to
get are patches making it mandatory, and complaints that it breaks
stubdoms (which I am not using.)

Could someone please explain what went down here?  This is what I've
managed to piece together (mostly guesswork):

* Some security hole was discovered when something was missing
"feature-rx-notify".
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-10/msg02698.html
simply says "Frontends"; to me that would mean xl or possibly qemu,
but apparently it's referring to something else.

* Something changed in a recent Linux kernel update that tripped over
this feature-rx-notify-is-mandatory patch, which prevented VIF devices
from working in certain circumstances (including mine.)  I'm not sure
what that could have been, though.

(This next one is a total guess.)
* The PVHVM drivers installed on the VM included a network driver,
that tried to replace the emulated NIC with a VIF.  However, due to
the previous issue, the the VIF could not be brought up; however, the
virtual NIC was removed anyway. (The PV driver probably ought to have
generated an event log message for this.)

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 22:44 +0100, ÃliÃs TamÃs wrote:
>> Hi.
>>

>> upgrade kernel, I used this:
>>
>> https://people.debian.org/~ijc/tmp/linux/3.16.7-ckt2-2~xen0/
>
> Please use the latest 3.16.7-ckt4-2 from unstable in preference to this
> temporary build, which I may delete at any time.
>
> Ian.

-- Stevie-O
Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE