[Xen-users] Booting efi and bios with one binary.

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Chris Takemura <ctakemura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:21:24 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 23:22:22 +0000

Hi everyone,

My scenario involves virtualizing a variety of Windows machines, some of which have been installed with pure EFI bootloaders, some of which use BIOS.  I'm on Xen 4.4.1 with upstream QEMU 2.1.0, using xl.  I can boot EFI by setting "bios='ovmf'" or BIOS by setting "bios='seabios'", but not both.  I'd really like to be able to use OVMF with the seabios CSM to automatically boot whichever is appropriate.

Here's the approach I've tried, based on instructions that I've found from the internet:

 * build normally (modify Config.mk, configure --enable-ovmf, make dist)
 * build seabios csm in tools/firmware/seabios-dir
 * copy bios.bin into ovmf-dir/OvmfPkg/Csm/Csm16/Csm16.bin.
 * clean seabios-dir; reconfigure for xen/qemu directly.
 * rebuild seabios
 * modify ovmf-dir/Makefile to include -D ENABLE_CSM
 * build ovmf
 * build hvmloader

I *think* that hvmloader includes the ovmf and seabios images within it.  Is that correct?  Is there any way I can check that the seabios csm is included?  Is it getting used?  Do I need a different source tree entirely?  (I'm just using the default git repos that the xen 4.4.1 makefile refers to.)  Is my understanding of how CSM is supposed to work incorrect?

Thanks,

--
chris