Re: [Xen-users] OpenStack, Xen Hypervisor & Moodle

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:56:13 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:56:48 +0000

Am Donnerstag, 16. April 2015, 05:03:22 schrieb Dinesh Karunakaran:
> 1. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on whether it is possible to
> use the Xen Hypervisor for the delivery of Moodle for large educational
> projects.
Even if the question is a bit far from the topics on this list, because Moodle
is a very high level application logically very far away from low level stuff
like Xen (in an OSI view).

but yes,
especially XEN in PV mode offers reliable performance / hardware ressource
efficiency to run "Moodle" (incl. the underlying Stack (Apache|NGINX/PHP/SQL
Database etc.)) on i.e. Linux or NetBSD. I would prefer PV where it is
possible.

We did a larger scale Moodle install some years ago on a "clustered" XEN PV
platform over around 15 server machines invloved.

Developing / thinkin about a good hardware and setup strategy (i.e. which
parts of the stack are placed where and on what type of
hardware/infrastructure) to get a overperforming and scalable Moodle
installation is important and OpenStack could limit the flexibility as the
possibilities you can calculate in.

But shure, if someone did not want to think about and just want to "throw in"
hardware when he recognizes that his setup did not delivers the required
perormance, "just" buy much more hardware and place OpenStack on it - it
"will" work too, but possible in another "terminology" of
oeconomical/technological efficiency... Ã)

I.e. the parts of the stack (Databse Server, Webservers, Proxy Caches / Load
Balancers) still could be "scaled" over further hardware nodes in a setup with
a bit of head. In most of siuch situations we just rune one productive DomU
("guest") per Hardware which gets delivered over the net or local disks -
depending from the application/part, application servers are configured in a
"dry" way and so on...

> 2. Also, is a combination of OpenStack, Xen Hypervisor & Moodle viable &
> operationally deployed anywhere ?
We did avoid the strong complexity of OpenStack in installations <=20 machines
(depending from how many different system types you want to handle even
more...) and used or own solution (based on XEN-SHELL2) to offer the customer
some basic management shell. The plus OpenStack could offer OS can play out in
really larger scale installations -

Means: This must be a really (!) large Moodle setup to get real improvements
with OpenStack.

> Are there any functioning installations that you can point me to for points
> 1 & 2 above ?
Not shure what you mean here. It is not possible to give you any access to
that setup we have installed, because it is not accessible from the public and
we are not allowed to give any public access to third parties.

cheerioh,

Niels.

--
 ---