Re: [Xen-users] Need help trying to use SPICE USB Redirection on Xen 4.5

It took me a while, but I got it working. What I didn't know is that to use a
VM with SPICE, you need a SPICE client. Since I always use my DomU locally, I
can get by using SDL, which doesn't require installing specific clients.

The last week I couldn't do anything. I installed Arch Linux virtviewer package
but I couldn't use virt-viewer itself since it required the latest version of
gnutls, 3.4. Upgrading gnutls broke my Xen install, which could no longer
create DomUs, so I had to rollback to gnutls 3.3.14. Some days ago a patch was
added so I could compile Xen with the latest gnutls, getting finally both to
work.

After some time googling, I couldn't get virt-viewer working, it always
reported some error related to libvirt not being able to connect to an URI. I
decided to try libvirt's virsh command and check if it can see current DomUs,
but instead it always complained with a "Failed to connect to the Hypervisor"
error. Then I found that Arch Linux libvirt excludes Xen support, you have to
build it yourself to make it work:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libvirt

Warning: Xen support is available but not by default. You need to use the ABS
to modify libvirt's PKGBUILD and build it without the --without-xen option.

After doing so and installing my custom libvirt, I also had to start libvirt as
a systemd service (systemd start libvirtd.service). At that point virsh list
worked, but always returned an empty list. virt-viewer was still not working.
Then I found some info claiming that virt-viewer only worked for libvirt
managed VMs, which mine weren't since virsh ignored them. So I gave up with
virt-viewer as I would have had to digest lots of info to create DomUs in their
format.

I decided to try with another client, spicy. Simply using spicy popped up a
window requesting Hostname and Port. localhost:6000 and voila, I finally had
access to my SPICE enabled DomU. In the menu there is an option where it
displays the current Dom0 USB devices and allows me to tick what I want to
redirect. I managed to make both an Arch Linux and Windows XP x64 VMs to see an
USB Pendrive (Windows also installed new Drivers for the USB Controller during
the first SPICE enabled boot), so I can say it is working.

I later found this:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/spice-devel/2012-June/009469.html

While virt-viewer always was a no-go, I could use remote-viewer
spice:///localhost:6000 and also works.

In resumen: You do NOT need to do all the libvirt related stuff which I did,
nor virt-viewer which relies on it. As simple SPICE clients, remote-viewer and
spicy works out of the box.

There are two things which I still have to test. I read that SPICE doesn't work
with VGA Passthrough (Not sure if it will not connect, or it would connect but
the viewer would display a black window since Windows disables the emulated
VGA), so I don't know if I can include SPICE in my main gaming VM. I suspect
that in order to use USB Redir, I would need to have a SPICE client connected
just for ticking the devices I want redirected, while also SDL to focus on that
window to pass input controls to the VM as I'm used to. The other is that I
also hear that SPICE supports Audio. Since I do PCI Passthrough of my Sound
Card to my gaming VM, I can't test right now. Does the only thing I have to do
is enable the emulated Sound Card for the DomU, or also installing Drivers on
DomUs (The SPICE Agent)?

Finally, I noticed that in xen-devel, some patches were included for qxl
support, so maybe for Xen 4.6 it may be possible to replace Standard VGA with
that one. Its looking good. It will be even better if they deliver the 3D
acceleration.