Re: [Xen-users] How do *you* go about sizing dom0 RAM?

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 8:46 PM, Nuno MagalhÃes <nunomagalhaes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm just going through the process of a hardware refresh and I was
>> wondering if it might be time to re-evaluate how much memory is
>> dedicated to dom0. That got me wondering how other people approach
>> this.
>

> I'm no expert whatsoever, just a desktop hobbyist, but like to keep
> dom0's RAM to a bare minimum and run a minimalist distro with few
> services (ssh via LAN... not much else). Less to hit the fans.

Same here, depends on the dom0, I have a laptop run Xen (testing)
where I assigned 2G out of 8GB, but for server as less as possible.

I have a NetBSD dom0 (home server) with 128M assigned, or actually
256M now, cause I tend to do so testing with HVM guests and I decided
to give it a bit more (was doing fine with 128M though, and I've seen
reports of people using 64M, with only PV guests.).

A couple linux hosts with 512M or even 1024M, but they do run more one
or HVM guests.