Re: [Xen-users] domU crashes when given 4g or more of ram

Phil Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a domU that has been running just fine for the last year with 2048m of
> ram.  I changed the config to give it 4096m of ram, and now when I start it
> up, it crashes ...

> ... the guest is only 32 bit.

A 32bit machine can't have 4G of RAM IIRC. For bare metal, the limit is around
3.2G - with the rest of the 4G space taken up with I/O stuff. I assume a
similar limitation applies to a VM - in that there'll be virtualised I/O
needing memory space. On a bare metal machine, I think the memory management
system just "ignores" as much real memory as needed to allow for the I/O -
dunno if that happens with a VM.

Have you tried 3G of RAM ? Pretty sure I have (or have had) 32bit VMs with 3G
RAM - don't think I've tried 4G (never had the luxury of that much memory in
the host !)