[Xen-users] Windows PV drivers destroying performance

I installed the PV drivers in some windows PVs as I thought it would improve performance, but the systems then became painfully slow to use.

I ran some tests on hard disc performance on a newly installed Win7 32 bit system before and after installing the PV drivers from univention.de (version 0.11.0.373) as the other sites appear to be offline. The host machine is running Fedora 21 with kernel 3.19.3. Without the PV drivers (with QEMU hardware) hard disc performance was 4409 I/O per second and 9.03Mbps. With the PV drivers installed this dropped to 207 I/O per second and 0.43Mbps.

Without the PV drivers, the remote desktop screen would refresh almost instantly, but with the PV drivers it could take up to 10 seconds just to refresh the screen.

I don't understand this, as I though that the sole purpose of the PV drivers was to improve I/O performance, yet they have made the system so slow that it is virtually unusable.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks

GC