Re: [Xen-users] USB Passthrough XEN 4.4

On 31.07.2015 19:16, pietrop wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-07-27 at 13:46 +0200, Wolf Grossi wrote:
>> On 19.06.2015 16:04, pietrop wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am running XEN 4.4 and I am using the tool 'xl' to do all the needed
>>> common operations like start/stop/reboot virtual machines; I'd need to
>>> setup an USB passthrough and I am reading the related instructions from
>>> the page :
>>>
>>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough
>>>
>>> Following the chapter 'Host USB in xl' it looks like the only support
>>> available is 'emulated USB', which as stated earlier in the same page is
>>> available only for HVM guest, I am pretty sure I am running a PV guest.
>>>
>>> Does that mean I can't configure USB passthrough on my system ?
>>>
>>> I have given those instructions a go but I can't see any USB
>>> devices/controller on my guest system.
>>>
>>> Instead I get an unable to initialize libusb: -99
>>>
>>> am I obliged to go for a PCI passthrough ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Pietro

>> Pietro,
>> I'm in the same situation;
>> have you found a solution already or is the PCI-passthru the only option?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wolf
>>
> Hi Wolf,
>
> Unfortunately I am keep wrestling with that.
> As a workaround for my specific situation I am heavily relying on sshfs.
>
> Nevertheless my case is pretty straightforward since I just need to
> access an Android device to install some apps on it therefore a shared
> FS works just fine for me, anyway keep me posted if you find a solution
> since I would like to get it right.
>
> Cheers,
> Pietro

Hi Pietro,

currently I'm using PCI passthru, however this appears to work for
storage media only, and I need it for a a WiFi modem devive. So no
success in this issue.

Currently I'm using ssh and friends to communicate with the USB device,
not nice but works.

It look like we have to wait for xen-4.6, as mentioned in
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough: 'As of Xen 4.4
PVUSB is only supported with xm/xend toolstack. There is ongoing work to
add PVUSB support to XL/libxl toolstack in Xen 4.6.'

Wolf