[Xen-users] Fedora HVM install - text console

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "G Crowe" <gcxenlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 19:43:46 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 08:45:15 +0000

Hi,
    I am trying to install Fedora into a HVM without needing VNC. This
would entail completing the entire installation process via "virsh
console".

    I have managed to convert a running HVM to use the xen console for
both grub and bootup so that I can use "virsh console". I have been
able to install paravirtualised linux using the "virt-install" utility
which completes the installation without use of VNC.

As far as installing a HVM, the closest I have managed to get is by
setting up a VNC window, booting from the install ISO image and altering
the GRUB command line to add "console=ttyS0". This allows me to then close
the VNC window and progress through the rest of the install via "virsh
console" (it even adds the "console=ttyS0" to the installed version, and
sets up grub for serial as well).

Is there any way to get the initial install ISO's grub menu to appear on
ttyS0 so that I can install without needing VNC at all? Preferably without
having to modify the ISO, as it is the one downloaded from Fedora's
website).

Thanks

GC