Re: [Xen-users] Is Qemu Required on Jessie?

On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 07:22 -0600, Ray wrote:
> Is qemu needed?
> I am running jessie and have installed Xen 4.4.1 and don't know if it is
> necessary to install qemu. I have found two references:
>
> 1
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide
> says -
> Â# For old Debian versions on the host (up to squeeze):
> Âaptitude install xen-qemu-dm
>
> Â# For newer Debian versions on the host:
> Âaptitude install qemu-system-x86
> Note that later versions of Xen Project software now can use the default,
> unmodified QEMU software, so this step may not be needed in recent
> releases.
>
> 2
> https://wiki.debian.org/Xen
> says -
> ÂTo get Xen HVM support on Squeeze the qemu device model package, which
> provides the necessary emulation infrastructure for an HVM guest, is also
> required:
> apt-get install xen-qemu-dm-4.0
>
> This is no longer needed in Wheezy since the device model is part of the
> Xen packages.
> I am not sure what is ment by 'no longer needed in Wheezy'. Is it that
> specific version of qemu or qemu in general. not required?

The Jessie Xen packages Recommend the relevant qemu package I believe, so
unless you've disabled installation of recommends then you should already
have it.

There is no xen-qemu-dm package any more, Xen in Jessie now uses the
regular qemu package and yes you need the latter to run an HVM guest.

Ian.