Re: [Xen-users] Missing libvirt+libxl functionality (Was: Re: Programmatic administration of Xen machines)

On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 12:47 +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Am 04.01.16 um 12:36 schrieb Ian Campbell:
> > Sorry to hijack this thread.
> >
> > On Mon, 2015-12-28 at 12:56 +0100, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> > > Actually, I find virsh a bad idea since its support for the new xl
> > > interface isn't feature complete as the old xm interface was. I had
> > > realize this the hard way when my virsh based python tools didn't
> > > work
> > > as expected after upgrading from xm to xl.
> > Note that virsh speaks to libxl directly, not via xl.
> >
> > Please can you list the functionality of libvirt's libxl backed which
> > is
> > missing compared to the old xend based one?
>
> libvirt only handles domains created through it, i.e. using xl at the
> same time is incompatible. Since dom0 can't be created using libvirt,
> it's missing from "virsh list" in any case.

This works for me with a reasonably modern set of bits:

    root@marilith-n0    :~# virsh list
    ÂIdÂÂÂÂNameÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂState
    Â0ÂÂÂÂÂDomain-0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂrunning
    Â13ÂÂÂÂdÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂrunning

It probably requires the correct running of xen-init-dom0 during boot
(likely via the xencommons initscript).

I could believe it was broken at some point in history though.

>  libvirt stores its own state, not using libxl/xenstore stuff.

Please can you elaborate.

Ian.