Re: [Xen-users] Programmatic administration of Xen machines

On Sat, 2015-12-26 at 16:18 -0500, Carl Patenaude Poulin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to programmatically administer Xen machines. Ideally, I'd
> need some sort of API or command-line tool that I can use to check
> if a domain is paused, collect console output, etc. I started by
> using xl, but the output it produces generally isn't suitable for
> machine consumption.

At least for some options (e.g. xl list) you can request JSON formatted
output.

For collecting console output you can configure xenconsoled to log all
guest output to files under /var/log/xen/console:
    http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Reporting_Bugs_against_Xen#Guest_console_logs
Not sure if that meets your requirements (this support is independent of
the toolstack).

> I'm wondering what solution you'd suggest. My first intuition is to
> use virsh, is that a good idea?

Contrary to what others have said, I think this (both virsh as a CLI and
the libvirt RPC interface which underlies it) is a valid avenue to
investigate and evaluate against your requirements.

libvirt support for Xen via the libxl backend is far more complete than it
was a couple of years ago and we think it should be usable for most cases.
If you trip across any bugs or missing features then please do report back
to us.

Ian.