[Xen-users] FW: EFI booting

Resent because it didn't had proper line wrapping so it looks horrible.

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am attempting to run an EFI boot with xen 4.5.2. I have attempted this on FreeBSD 11 and Ubunut server 14.04. On both OS models upon reboot the server will not find the OS. On ubuntu there is a ramdisk
>> error and no OS found. While on FreeBSD 11 the OS is not found in /boot/xen.
>>
>> I attempted to install from source code and found that it will come back upon reboot but when I install xen tools to the latest version the OS is again non-bootable.  >> >> Is there any support for EFI booting on either of these systems. I cannot find any documentation that supports either of these OS models.
>>
>> This is for a research project and if EFI is not working on either model could someone point me to the article on this

Since its not for Ubuntu, I can't really specifically help you, only generalities. Check my old guide for Arch Linux (Its outdated and you can't do the full procedure with it any longer if you want to test it), it may give you some tips:
http://pastebin.com/2WF2PCcz

You need to make sure than you have binutils compiled with x86_64-pep support (No idea if Ubuntu has it by default), or otherwise will have to build and install it. Then you compile Xen, grab the correct xen.efi file and put it at /boot, create a xen.cfg file with the proper boot parameters of the Dom0 host, then finally, add it to your UEFI Boot Manager (Be it Gummiboot/systemd-boot or GRUB) to load xen.efi. That is usually the correct procedure.
I absolutely recommend you to try with Gummiboot instead of GRUB, since GRUB needed some patches to get it working (The multiboot protocol I think) and I don't know if it already works out of the box.

Also, it may not be your specific scenario but may be related. I hear some comments that latest binutils somehow broke compatibility with x86_64-pep / i386pep, or something along those lines, so you needed to apply a patch somewhere to get it working again. Check Arch Linux AUR xen package comments and this mail:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xen/
https://lists.01.org/pipermail/igvt-g/2015-November/000137.html