Re: [Xen-users] Alpha digital OpenUnix 4.0b emulation

On Tue, 2016-01-05 at 09:34 +0000, Arash Shams wrote:
> Hello
>
> After i find out qemu/kvm cant emulate 4.0b and start supporting alpha
> from version 4.0f i decide to try xen .
> is there any chance to emulate this kind of device using xen ?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_UNIX

Xen doesn't do ISA emulation, only virtualisation of the underlying ISA of
the platform. It currently runs on x86 and ARM and has in the past run on
IA64 and PPC, but AFAIK it has never been ported to Alpha.

KVM is in much the same situation as Xen in this regard, since it uses the
underlying CPU ISA, but I would expect regular QEMU without KVM to at least
have a stab at emulating an Alpha, given the existence of qemu-system-alpha
in the Debian packages ;-)

Whether QEMU can emulate any particular Alpha platform which Tru64 supports
I can't say.

Ian.