Re: [Xen-users] VLAN guest networking: near 100% packet loss

Pavan Maddamsetti <pavan.maddamsetti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am new to the mailing list

Welcome

> My setup consists of Debian 8 on both dom0
> and domU, and the machine is connected to a VLAN tagged port on the
> switch meaning that the host must be VLAN-aware.
>
> Dom0 has internet reachability but domU is only able to establish
> connections to hosts on the LAN; pings sent to external machines come
> back with virtually 100% packet loss but it is unlikely a routing
> issue because sometimes one or two packets get through.
>
> Dom0 network configuration is:
>
> auto xenbr0
> iface xenbr0 inet manual
>    bridge_ports eth1
>    bridge_stp off
>    bridge_waitport 0
>    bridge_fd 0
>
> auto xenbr0.4
> iface xenbr0.4 inet static
>    address 192.168.4.13
>    broadcast 192.168.4.255
>    netmask 255.255.255.0
>    gateway 192.168.4.1
>    vlan-raw-device xenbr0

I'm no expert but I was under the impression that the bridging (not sure
whether that's the host side or the Xen us of it) doesn't support VLAN tagging
within the virtual switch. I have a host using a VLAN trunk like you describe,
but what I've done is build a separate bridge for each VLAN :

auto pethint ethmgmt
iface pethint inet manual
iface ethmgmt inet manual
        bridge_ports pethint
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_waitport 0
        bridge_fd 0

auto pethint.36 ethfttc
iface pethint.36 inet manual
        vlan-raw-device pethint
iface ethfttc inet manual
        bridge_ports pethint.36
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_waitport 0
        bridge_fd 0

So I end up (with this snippet) with ethmgmt which is connected to the untagged
management VLAN, and ethfttc which is connected to VLAN 36 (for my FTTC modem).
I then connect guests to whichever networks they need with multiple virtual
nics :
vif  = [ 'bridge=ethext,vifname=intgateext',
         'bridge=ethint,vifname=intgateint',
         'bridge=ethwifi,vifname=intgatewifi',
         'bridge=ethmgmt,vifname=intgatemgmt',
         'bridge=ethfttc,vifname=intgatefttc' ]
So this links my router to the outside, lan, management VLAN, and guest WiFi
networks.

If you search the archives, there's been some discussion regarding the use of
virtualswitch to provide tagged networking within Dom0 so you can trunk the
VLANs to DomUs over one port. I've not played with that.