[Xen-users] Potentially old bridging or xennet (netfront) bug, does this sound familiar?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andrew Davidoff <davidoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 10:47:15 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 17:48:18 +0000

Hi,

I'm currently troubleshooting an issue with a CentOS 5.7 guest with
kernel 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen running on a CentOS 6.6 dom0 with
Xen4Centos 4.2.3-25 and kernel 3.10.20-11.el6.centos.alt.x86_64. After
some amount of time (varies) the guest stops communicating on the
network, and the symptoms are almost exactly as described here:

http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/domU-loses-network-after-a-while-td3265172.html

By "almost" I mean that the only behavior that hasn't been confirmed
to be similar is seeing tx drops on the vif when things are broken. I
hope to confirm this the next time this happens. I have not yet found
a way to programmatically trigger the issue but unfortunately it
happens somewhat frequently.

I realize the bug reported above doesn't apply here because the
smartpoll feature that is responsible isn't part of the
2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen kernel's xennet module, but because every other
behavior reported in the bug details are exactly the same as what I'm
experiencing, I'm lead to believe I might be hitting a different
xennet domU bug.

I have done a fairly exhaustive search for similar bugs and as part of
that effort I wanted to see if this sounds familiar to anyone.

As an aside, I realize that running a newer guest is likely advisable,
but I'm hoping to identify a root cause here before I make a change
like that.

Thanks.
Andy