[Xen-users] Pasting into a PVHVM guest's 'installer' VNC session?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: suse.dev@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 08:54:20 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 16:54:50 +0000

I'm setting up to boot various distro installers.

I'm using all PVHVM guests atm.

After launching the guest, I VNC over to the guest installer's GUI, and point &
click my way through, with occassional/infrequent keyboard entry required.

But for Guest OS installers with no Graphical installer, e.g. like Arch, you
end up entering a log from the keyboard.

Not that it's no doable, it's just prone to error.

So, it'd be nice to be able to copy and paste from my local notes into the VNC
session.

Unfortunately it seems you can't
(http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/Pasting-into-virtual-console-td2594971.html);
admittedly that's a long time ago.

Of course, after the guest is installed, you can login and get to 'better' VNC
server capabilities, that allow copy & paste ... but not 'yet' in the installer.

With arch, in the ncurses-capable SHELL @ Dom0, when I launch the guest I do
see the ncurses-installer menu,

    ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
    â                             Arch Linux                             â
    ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ
    â Boot Arch Linux (x86_64)                                           â
    â Boot Arch Linux (i686)                                             â
    â Boot existing OS                                                   â
    â Run Memtest86+ (RAM test)                                          â
    â Hardware Information (HDT)                                         â
    â Reboot                                                             â
    â Power Off                                                          â
    ââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââââ

                         Press [Tab] to edit options

then this

        Boot the Arch Linux (x86_64) live medium.
        It allows you to install Arch Linux or perform system maintenance.

then nothing more.

At the VNC client, I of course, see the full/capable shell.

*IS* there any way to get copy & paste working "into" a DomU Guest installer's
VNC session?