[Xen-users] Xen PVHVM DomU's hdX+xvdX redundancy 'confusing' to guests OS's isntaller. An OS, or Xen, issue?

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:19:29 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Mar 2016 20:21:01 +0000

I'm launching a Distro installer (openSUSE) in a Xen 4.6.x PVHVM guest.

IIUC, PVHVM maintains disk identity as both hdX and xvdX.

It appears that both those identities are passed to the Guest. In the case of openSUSE's (graphical) installer, it appears to cause confusion -- in that redundant choices are presented AND selected for drives to be formatted, grub boot order to be traversed, etc.

Here's the thread I posted at 'opensuse-virtual' ML with a bit more detail, & a screenshot of what's occurring:

  https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-virtual/2016-03/msg00001.html

What's not clear to me is where there needs to be a 'fix' (or cleanup) -- in Xen, or in the distro's installer?