Re: [Xen-users] Looking for information on domain conversion from PV to HVM

  • To: Laura Herrmann <laurah@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Sarah Newman <srn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 10:16:19 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 17:17:50 +0000
  • Dkim-filter: OpenDKIM Filter v2.10.3 mail.prgmr.com 094B528C007

On 04/11/2016 07:54 AM, Laura Herrmann wrote:
> I'm looking for information about how to convert a domain from PV to
> HVM. The processes I am finding on the web so far are using the xe tool,
> but we're using xl, and the commands I'm seeing aren't working with xl.
> Wondering if anyone has information or a link?

With xl there's a configuration file. To change the VM configuration from PV to
HVM you need to edit that file. For the changes to take effect, you
may need to perform a full shutdown / create rather than running config-update
and rebooting.

The internal VM configuration also needs to be adjusted for the different
virtual hardware, for example ttyS0 will become the default console instead
of hvc0. But that's the same regardless of tool stack.

--Sarah