Re: [Xen-users] Some questions about Networking and storage.

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferroin7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 11:03:23 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 May 2016 15:05:00 +0000

On 2016-05-06 09:19, Simon Hobson wrote:
Jason Long <hack3rcon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to start my first VM via Xen and need your advice :
1- How can I setup a NIC for my VM? Is it Bridge?

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Networking
Decide how you want your guests to access the network(s) and work from there.
All of my servers use virtual switches (bridges).
Unless you need absolutely maximum performance (in which case you should look at PCI pass-through of an NIC), have a specific need to do routing differently per-VM (if you don't know any reason why you would need this, you don't need it), or have a need to use Open vSwitch, I'd suggest just sticking with bridges, as it's a lot simpler to set up and maintain.

2- My computer have two partitions and I want to dedicate second partition for
my VMs, Must I create LVM or...? How can I dedicate 80 GB virtual HDD to my VM?

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Storage_options
That's much more a matter of preference. You can use files in the hosts
filesystem, or separate partitions (usually LVM for flexibility). And when
using partitions, you can use one partition per guest and let the guest
partition it as though it was one big virtual disk; or you can have one
partition per guest volume.
Personally, I use LVM and create a logical volume for each separate filesystem
on the guest - so there'll be an LVM volume for ${guest}-root, another for
${guest}-var, and so on. But that's just my preference.
This is also what I use on my systems. It has the distinct advantage that you can do things like repair the filesystem or edit configuration in the VM from Domain-0 when the VM is off, and also lets you do other interesting things (for example, if you're using a Gentoo VM, you can do all the installation work trivially from Domain-0). The down side is that you can't do this with Windows easily (it refuses to use flat disks without a partition table), and it's non-trivial to get working with HVM based guests (because you have to have somewhere to store the boot-loader, and that was traditionally the MBR and the blank track between it and the first partition).