[Xen-users] Does xen-fbfront on a DomU make use of a hardware GPU on Dom0?

Hello Xen folks!

Does the Xen project framebuffer driver (xen-fbfront, I believe?) on a DomU make use of a hardware GPU, if one is present, on Dom0? Or does this framebuffer driver do all the graphics rendering in software on the Dom0 side of things?

I'm running a paravirtualized ubuntu linux guest on top of an ubuntu Dom0. I have a graphics card installed in the machine, and since I know that VGA PCI passthrough is not supported for PV guests (http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/XenVGAPassthrough), I'm using the xen-fbfront module to get an X11 environment on my guest.

If Xen can be coerced into using a hardware GPU for rendering for a framebuffer, how might I do that? (Please let me know if this question does not make sense, and I'll try to explain better.)

Many thanks!
Drew

Drew (Andrew P.) Sabelhaus
Graduate Student Researcher | UC Berkeley | Mechanical Engineering
NASA Ames Research Center | Intelligent Robotics Group | Dynamic Tensegrity Robotics Lab
c: (301) 807-9842 | www.apsabelhaus.com