[Xen-users] pv-grub in xen 4.7, ok with kernel 3.x, but fails with 4.x

  • To: Xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Mark Pryor <tlviewer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:58:02 +0000 (UTC)
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:59:19 +0000

Hello,

In a xen 4.7 source build, pv-grub works with domU kernel 3.x.x, but not with 4.x.x. So, the recent fc24, xenial, and debian sid/stretch can't use pv-grub.

I see the same error message mentioned here:

  ============= Init TPM Front ================
    Tpmfront:Error Unable to read device/vtpm/0/backend-id during
 tpmfront initialization! error = ENOENT
    Tpmfront:Info Shutting down tpmfront
    pin_table(x) returned 1357193
    close(3)
     Error 9: Unknown boot failure

in the xen-devel post above, I see no resulting patch or resolution to the problem. Ian pointed to:

ea7c8a3 libxc: reorganize domain builder guest memory allocator
which targets stubdom/grub/kexec.c

only one other patch after that hits the same path, and nothing in recent unstable hits it either.
Can anyone else confirm this as a bug, or know of a patch to fix it?

PryMar56