Re: [Xen-users] xm vs. xl

[adding xen-users back in]

On 14/09/16 15:15, Tim Evers wrote:
> Am 14.09.16 um 15:49 schrieb George Dunlap:
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Tim Evers <it@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> no idea if this should belong here or to the dev list:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XL#xl_Upgrade_Checklist
>>>
>>> lists a moderate number of user facing changes from xm to xl.
>>> Unfortunately one really big one is missing:
>>>
>>> xm -l list
>>>
>>> (domain
>>>     (domid 0)
>>>     (cpu_weight 256)
>>>     (cpu_cap 0)
>>>     (pool_name Pool-0)
>>>     (bootloader '')
>>>     (vcpus 2)
>>>     (cpus ((0) (1)))
>>>     (on_poweroff destroy)
>>>     (on_crash restart)
>>>     (uuid 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000)
>>>     (bootloader_args '')
>>>     (name Domain-0)
>>>     (on_reboot restart)
>>>     (maxmem 16777215)
>>>     (memory 2285)
>>>     (shadow_memory 0)
>>>     (features '')
>>>     (on_xend_start ignore)
>>>     (on_xend_stop ignore)
>>>     (cpu_time 8472782.84427)
>>>     (online_vcpus 2)
>>>     (image (linux (kernel '') (superpages 0) (nomigrate 0) (tsc_mode 0)))
>>>     (status 2)
>>>     (state r-----)
>>> )
>>>
>>> xl -l list
>>>
>>> (domain
>>>         (domid 0)
>>>         (create_info)
>>>         (hvm 0)
>>>         (hap <default>)
>>>         (oos <default>)
>>>         (ssidref 0)
>>>         (name Domain-0)
>>>         (uuid 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000)
>>>         (xsdata (null))
>>>         (platformdata (null))
>>>         (build_info)
>>>         (max_vcpus 0)
>>>         (tsc_mode default)
>>>         (max_memkb 4294967292)
>>>         (target_memkb 2597151)
>>>         (nomigrate <default>)
>>>         (image
>>>                 (linux 0)
>>>                         (kernel (null))
>>>                         (cmdline (null))
>>>                         (ramdisk (null))
>>>                         (e820_host <default>)
>>>                 )
>>>         )
>>> )
>>>
>>> Especially the cpu pinning information is completely gone.
>>>
>>> This is a documentation bug at least.
>>>
>>> Or am I missing something?
>>
>> This was probably meant to come under the "Creating domains from SXP
>> format configuration files" anti-feature on that page.  Modern
>> versions of xl output JSON from xl list -l (but it's not very
>> complete).  It would probably be a good idea to update that line of
>> the wiki page to say something like, "Creating domains from or listing
>> domain information out to SXP format".

> [...]

Indeed, the json output from "xl list -l" on a more recent system seems
to have absolutely nothing in it from the domain_info struct.  It looks
like it was started and then never quite finished.

Would extending this (i.e., having more information available in json
form from xl list -l) suffice for you?

If so, that would be a good reason to prioritize filling that out.

Unfortunately the posting cut-off for 4.8 is the end of this week, so
unless someone jumps right on that it seems like the earliest it could
make it in a release would be 4.9 (which would be released sometime
around July 2017).  Such a patch should backport pretty easily though.

 -George