[Xen-users] Windows 10 domU on Linux server?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Rich Wales <richw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 13:27:58 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 20:29:15 +0000

Hi.  I want to attach a Windows 10 domU, running on a Linux Xen server, to the server's keyboard, mouse, video, audio, CD/DVD, and most of its USB ports.  My intent here is that the server should look and feel essentially the same as if it were a regular Windows 10 desktop machine, while still running a Linux dom0 under the covers.

How do I go about attaching the peripherals to the Win10 domU?

Do I need to install a second video card or other duplicate hardware in order for this server to continue to run without access to the peripherals that are being dedicated to the domU?  Or can the dom0 run "headless" and be accessed via ssh?

Are there any "hidden gotchas" that are likely to make this project especially difficult, or perhaps doom it altogether?

Technical details:  I'm running Xen 4.6.0 on an Ubuntu 16.04 server with 32 GB RAM and 8 CPUs.  I've successfully set up my Windows 10 domU, running in HVM mode, and currently accessed via vncviewer.

Thanks for any pointers.
--
Rich Wales
richw@xxxxxxxxx