Re: [Xen-users] Turn Speakers to Microphones?

On Sat, Dec 03, 2016 at 06:06:00PM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Recent security research shows that soundcards support surreptitiously
> switching line-out jacks into line-in by modifying the software stack.
> The way modern speakers and headphones are designed makes them readily
> usable as microphones. The Intel High Definition (HD) Audio standards
> which all modern consumer soundcards are based mandates this.
>
> https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1611/1611.07350.pdf
>
> Does anyone know if XEN's emulated sound devices follow this standard?

Xen doesn't provide any emulated sound device, they are provided by QEMU, and
the
default for HVM guests is to not provide any sound device at all. See the
soundhw xl option[0] for more information, if you have further questions about
the emulated sound devices I would recommend that you write to the QEMU mailing
lists.

Roger.

[0]
http://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/man/xl.cfg.5.html#Miscellaneous-Emulated-Hardware