 Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] "Hello Xen Project" Book.
 To: "Mohsen" <mohsen1365b@xxxxxxxxx>
 Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2017, 5:34 AM

 Hi Mohsen,

 wrote:

 > Dear Xen Project community members,
 >
 > I have written a Xen book recently (pdf attached) which
 is aimed at teaching Xen newbies. I would like to make the
 book available to the Xen Project under a CC-BY-SA-3.0
 license. Ideally, I would like to publish the content on the
 Xen Project wiki in an editable form, such that others can
 contribute and build on it and it stays up-to-date. I also
 noticed that the Xen Wiki has the
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
 extension, which should make it possible to create a
 PDF, ODF or DocBook from the pages for those who want a
 manual rather than wiki pages.

 Thank you for doing this. As far as I can tell the fact that
 you published the book under CC-BY-SA-3.0 would make it
 possible to move the content to the wiki.

 > I had a conversation with Lars to check whether this is
 possible and he believes it is. He suggests that first we
 upload the book as pdf to the wiki and as a second step,
 agree an information architecture and then convert the book
 to mark-down. There are a number of conversion tools which
 should get us there some of the way, with a bit of cleanup
 and beautification needed after the initial import. I can
 make the source available in a format that makes conversion
 to markdown easier.

 We do need to find a way to convert the content into
 markdown format though, which may be quite a bit of work.

 I have done this before for html pages, converting them into
 docman markdown. I have not checked whether there are online
 or command line tools which do that for mediawiki markdown.
 In any case, the conversion is fundamentally doable,
 although it will be somewhat tedious to do this. If anyone
 has more experience, please share and advise what the best
 way forward is.

 The main problem that I faced when doing something similar
 were tables, figures and other more advanced formatting.
 Much of this may get lost or "corrupted" in some way and
 will have to be re-introduced post conversion.

 @Mohsen: as far as I recall, you used Word or LibreOffice to
 create the book? Is that correct? If so, it should be
 possible to save it in html, which would ensure that figures
 and so on are saved in some sensible way. We would probably
 need to find a temporary location where to store this. And
 we can start experimenting a little and maybe provide a
 quick guide on how to do this.

 As for the information architecture, I was thinking about a
 structure such as ...

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/title_and_credits

 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/<wikibook>/<chapter>

 ... a separate article for each article in the book, such as
 "Virtualization and Security". As a first step, we would
 probably keep the original chapter structure.

 This would then look something like ...
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Title
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Credits
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/0/Licence
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/History
 https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HelloXenProject/1-Intro/TypesOfVirtualization

 We may need some other extensible numbering scheme, which
 would make it easy to create PDF's with
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection -
 again, this is something I don't have experience with.

 > What do people think? Is this a good idea? Would anyone
 be willing to help? I am not very familiar with Markdown and
 would need someone else to help with the wikification of the
 book. Lars already volunteered to help.

 I will definitely help, but this would be an activity, which
 could easily be distributed. So help from others would be
 very highly appreciated.

 Best Regards
 Lars