[Xen-users] Why is GPU passthrough so difficult?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Kent R. Spillner" <kspillner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 14:54:42 -0500 (CDT)
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 26 May 2017 19:55:55 +0000

Why is GPU passthrough so difficult?  I saw a note on the wiki about GPU
passthrough which mentioned the fact that modern video cards perform a lot of
different functions and maintain a lot of state, but I couldn't find any
details about why GPU passthrough is more difficult compared to other PCI
devices.

It seems that even with two separate GPUs it's still tricky to get things
working.  Are the main challenges in the drivers, or in the kernel, or in the
way BIOS/UEFI initializes video cards, or some combination of all of these
things?  Or, dare I ask, is it the GPU vendors trying to upsell more
"enterprise" hardware?

I'm just curious to learn more about the underlying technical challenges around
GPU passthrough in general.  Thanks in advance for any explanation or pointers!