Re: [Xen-users] Compiling Xen with gcc 7

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Peter Milesson <miles@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

I replaced an ancient setup of Slackware 14.1 with Xen (4.3.1) on kernel 3.12, with glibc 2.24, with the fresh components of everything (Slackware 14.2 current, kernel 4.9.40, glibc 2.26, gcc 7.1.0, xen 4.8.1). I had quite a bit of trouble compiling Xen with gcc 7.1.0, though.

gcc 7 issues a lot more warnings than previous versions, and in many places the gcc flag -Werror effectively halts the make, as warnings are treated as errors.

As I really needed to get the stuff working, I changed the the -Werror to -Wno-error where ever possible. I know it's stupid, but I had only hours to get it going. The server is working, there seems to be no real problems, but I want to do it the proper way.

Is there anybody out there who's built xen 4.8.1, or 4.9.0 with gcc 7? And if so, where should I tweak the flags, or patch the source?

Best regards,

Peter
You can have a look at the Fedora 26 build of xen 4.8.1:

-robin