Re: [Xen-users] Compiling Xen with gcc 7

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Peter Milesson <miles@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 23:37:06 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Aug 2017 21:38:34 +0000

On 2017-08-09 15:07, Wei Liu wrote:
On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 01:48:38PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 05:43:24PM +0200, Peter Milesson wrote:
Hi folks,

I replaced an ancient setup of Slackware 14.1 with Xen (4.3.1) on kernel
3.12, with glibc 2.24, with the fresh components of everything (Slackware
14.2 current, kernel 4.9.40, glibc 2.26, gcc 7.1.0, xen 4.8.1). I had quite
a bit of trouble compiling Xen with gcc 7.1.0, though.

gcc 7 issues a lot more warnings than previous versions, and in many places
the gcc flag -Werror effectively halts the make, as warnings are treated as
errors.

As I really needed to get the stuff working, I changed the the -Werror to
-Wno-error where ever possible. I know it's stupid, but I had only hours to
get it going. The server is working, there seems to be no real problems, but
I want to do it the proper way.

Is there anybody out there who's built xen 4.8.1, or 4.9.0 with gcc 7? And
if so, where should I tweak the flags, or patch the source?

Feel free to submit bug reports to xen-devel@ with complete build logs.
We will see about fixing them. We could also give you advice on how to
workaround the issues.
FWIW I just pushed some patches to staging to fix build with gcc 7.

It might be worth requesting backporting them to 4.8 and 4.9.

Hi folks,

Thanks everybody for your input.

I've applied the Fedora patches as previously suggested by Robin, leaving out the Fedora specific parts. If I leave out stubdoms, it builds. Using stubdoms, it does not. The latter most probably not a gcc 7 problem. Under Slackware I never succeeded to build Xen with stubdoms anyway since the introduction of them.

Concerning the use of gcc 7, the problem is solved.

Best regards,

Peter