Re: [Xen-users] dom0 memory issue with Win10 domU - debian stretch xen 4.8.1

Hello,

A similar qemu-version-clash has recently happened in Fc26, as users naturally want to use the latest qemu, while Xen-4.8 is tied to an older qemu version.

The Xen source tarball in Stretch is shortened from the full upstream, by removing
tools/qemu-xen* and extras/

Now qemu-system-i386 is provided by a separate, distro package (qemu-system-x86), not within Xen.

Here I have a source build of the full upstream Xen-4.8. Checking qemu version:
$/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386 -version
QEMU emulator version 2.7.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2016 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

As you noted, Stretch now provides qemu 2.8.

Its now up to the Debian users of xen-hypervisor*deb, etc to insure that qemu-system-i386 (2.7) is available to Xen. Its not clear that there is a definite way to do this. In Fedora, they could roll back the version, since multiple versions of qemu-system-x86 were kept.

It may be that multiple versions of qemu* are needed in the file system.

However its done, the resulting path to qemu* 2.7 can be configured here:
/etc/default/xencommons

PryMar56
##xen-packaging on Freenode IRC