[Xen-users] VCPUs vs Cores

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: admin <admin@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 01:11:49 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 23:50:28 +0000

Hi,

on a server with two QuadCore Xeon CPUs I observe the following:

2 CPUs x 4 Cores x 2 threads result in 16 "cores" / VCPUs.
I now assign 12 of these to a windows server VM. In the
device manager I see 12 CPUs. Is every core (vcpu) passed
as a single CPU to my VM?

If so, is there any config file option to change this?
I am asking because one of the limitations of the free
SQL Server Express is that it is utilizing max 1 CPU / 4 cores.

If each thread / vcpu is passed as a independent CPU I
am lacking possible performance. Any hint on that?

Talking about Xen 4.4 here.

Regards,
Manuel