Re: [Xen-users] Error accessing memory mapped by xenforeignmemory_map()

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Adding the ARM maintainers.
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:54:59AM -0500, Brett Stahlman wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the "xenforeignmemory" library to read arbitrary
>> memory ranges from a Xen domain. The code performing the reads is
>> designed to run in dom0 on a Zynq ultrascale MPSoC (ARM64), though I'm
>> currently testing in QEMU. I constructed a simple test program, which
>> reads an arbitrary domid/address pair from the command line, converts
>> the address (assumed to be physical) to a page frame number, and uses
>> xenforeignmemory_map() to map the page into the test app's virtual
>> memory space. Although xenforeignmemory_map() returns a non-NULL
>> pointer, my attempt to dereference it fails with the following error:
>>
>> (XEN) traps.c:2508:d0v1 HSR=0x93810007 pc=0x400a20 gva=0x7f965f7000
>> gpa=0x00000030555000
>> [   74.361735] Unhandled fault: ttbr address size fault (0x92000000)
>> at 0x0000007f965f7000
>> Bus error
>
> I'm not sure what a Bus error means on ARM, have you tried to look
> at traps.c:2508 to see if there's some comment explaining why this
> fault is triggered?

I believe the fault is occurring because mmap() failed to map the page.
Although xenforeignmemory_map() is indeed returning a non-NULL pointer,
code comments indicate that this does not imply success: page-level
errors might still be returned in the provided "err" array. In my case,
it appears that an EINVAL is produced by mmap(): specifically, I believe
it's coming from privcmd_ioctl_mmap_batch() (drivers/xen/privcmd.c), but
there are a number of conditions that can produce this error code, and I
haven't yet determined which is to blame...

So although I'm not sure why I would get an "address size" fault, it
makes sense that the pointer dereference would generate some sort of
paging-related fault, given that the page mapping was unsuccessful.
Hopefully, ARM developers will be able to explain why it was
unsuccessful, or at least give me an idea of what sorts of things could
cause a mapping attempt to fail... At this point, I'm not particular
about what address I map. I just want to be able to read known data at a
fixed (non-paged) address (e.g., kernel code/data), so I can prove to
myself that the page is actually mapped.

> I'm not sure the xenforeigmemory library is used on ARM, since IIRC on
> x86 that's mainly used for QEMU device emulation, which is not done
> for ARM. There are examples of guest memory mappings on tools/libxc/,
> for example xc_dom_boot.c, although that's using the
> xc_map_foreign_ranges interface.

Thanks. I'll have a look at this...
Brett S.