Re: Pvgrub with lz4 compressed kernels

Hey Andy,

> On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 04:23:29AM +0000, John S wrote:
> I have the same problem. I don't believe there is any support in
> Grub for it yet. I asked but have not got a response yet:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2020-04/msg00198.html
>
> If you see my own response to my email, I found that Grub compiled
> as a PVH image will boot these kernels in PVH mode.
>
> The other thing you can do right now is decompress the kernel images
> using:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/torvalds/linux/master/scripts/extract-vmlinux
>
> They will then boot with pvgrub.
>
> For those of us not yet ready to switch to PVH it would be great if
> someone could implement LZ4 decompression for pvgrub.

Thanks for that very useful!, gives me a way forward for the moment.

As a workaround specific to Ubuntu PV guests I have written an apt hook using
extract-vmlinux to decompress kernels during installation. (Included
'decompress-kernel')

The hook requires extract-linux somewhere and goes into /etc/kernel/postinst.d/

Hope to see some support for this upstream.

Cheers,
John S