Re: Vanilla Xen total CPU %

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: David Kowis <david@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 02:39:31 +0000 (UTC)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 02:40:07 +0000

On 2020-06-08 10:08, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi,

> On Jun 8, 2020, at 12:58 PM, Nick Calvert <nick.calvert@simplyhosting.cloud>
wrote:
> What I was trying to do was stream some of the xentop counters
> into a time series database  (influxdb) so I could graph this.

I wanted to do this too, but for Prometheus.
+1

I was going to approach it from a crystal point of view, binding to the libxl c library. Again real life, and time got to me. I would love to see a high quality Xen Prometheus exporter!

I wrote a libxl C program that prints out the CPU time used by each
guest in Prometheus's exposition format¹. That would be just the
cumulative time in seconds because Prometheus likes things in its
base units, and you can derive percentages and rates from that.

I just trigger it by cron every 5 minutes and use it as a
node_exporter textfile collector², but I guess if I wanted it at a
shorter interval I'd make it into a proper exporter from a
standalone daemon.

If anyone would find it useful I can publish it, though my C is
terrible…

I'd find it useful to look at :) Throw it on a git repo somewhere, or something :)

-- David