Re: USB on DomU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: David Kowis <david@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 03:15:34 +0000 (UTC)
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 03:16:44 +0000

On 2020-06-18 11:46, Martin Hargreaves wrote:
Dear Xen Community,

I have recently created an Ubuntu 16.04 Guest DomU which seems to run
okay but I’m struggling for it to see USBs.

If your VM is not HVM, it needs the PVUSB drivers, which I only know of from here: https://github.com/jgross1/linux/tree/pvusb

I got it from here: https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2019-08/msg00013.html

I don't know if those drivers are updated more often. I haven't gotten around to using them yet, other things keep getting in the way.

An HVM VM should do USB passthrough natively, and not need any PV drivers.

On my host Dom0 system, a ‘lsusb’  shows my device as..
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive

In my config file I use the settings…

usbctrl=[ 'type=auto,version=2' ]
usbdev=[ 'hostbus=2,hostaddr=5' ]

As I issue the xl create command, the USB mounted on Dom0 is unmounted
(I don’t know if this is expected) and my DomU seems to start ok.
However, when I do an ‘lsusb’ I can’t see it when in my DomU.
On Dom0 (ID=3), if I issue the following command, it seems like it has worked.
root@Dell-e6400-2:~# xl usb-list 3
Devid  Type         BE  state usb-ver ports
0      qusb         0   1     2       8
  Port 1: Bus 002 Device 005
  Port 2:
  Port 3:
  Port 4:
  Port 5:
  Port 6:
  Port 7:
  Port 8:

Am I missing a further step to see the USB device in my DomU?

  Thank you for any insights that anyone may have.

    Martin...