Re: Crypted devices... where open them?

On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 10:59:41 AM CEST Christoph wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have some crypted (LUKS) devices which I use in some domU's.
> It is better to passthrough a crypted devices and open it in domU or
> passthrough an already opened plain device to a domU?
>
> --
> ------
> Greetz

I would suggest it depends on who "owns" the domUs.

If the domU is not owned by the same person as who owns dom0, then the
decryption should be handled in the domU as dom0 should not have access to the
decription keys.

If you own both dom0 and domU, you can decide where to use the decryption
keys.
In this case, I would decrypt it on the dom0. The reason being:

1) the dom0 should have less exposure, which means it will be more difficult
to break into and grab the keys

2) the data will be accessible anyway as long as the drive is "decrypted",
which means as long as the machine is powered, the keys are not really needed.

--
Joost