Re: Grub xen_pvh platform does not seem to support uncompressed kernels

On 02.11.20 09:27, Andy Smith wrote:
Hi Jürgen,

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 08:43:24AM +0100, Jürgen Groß wrote:
On 02.11.20 07:22, Andy Smith wrote:
I therefore can only conclude that PVH grub doesn't like kernels
with no compression. Is that expected?

Can you boot the decompressed kernel on bare metal or in an HVM
domain using grub?

Oh that's interesting. The decompressed kernel doesn't boot bare
metal either (same message).

The decompressed kernel is generated like this:

# extract-vmlinux /boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-52-generic >
/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-52-generic-decompressed

The decompressed kernel does boot when presented to the hypervisor
directly, i.e. no grub, directly listed in guest config file.

I don't have an HVM test setup right now so am unable to test that,
but I suppose we can assume it will fail as the problem is in the
standard grub loading functions.

So, is this a bug? Grub should be able to boot uncompressed kernels,
shouldn't it?

As long as the boot entry code is included in this kernel, yes.

Juergen