Re: Is initramfs' /dev supposed to show exposed targets at Guest Boot Time?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 20:21:21 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 20:22:09 +0000

Hi John,

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 03:49:07AM -0800, John L. Poole wrote:
> In my original posting, I've noted Debian is running lvm 2.03.02(2)
> whereas my Gentoo guest is has lvm 2.02.187-r2  and I used genkernel.
>
> Another recent posting on the Gentoo forums reports a similar
> problem where the author "can't mount the root partition when booting.":
>
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1128130-highlight-lvm2.html?sid=30c4ec50ca3e7d53f56cc098d7c0acb2
>
> I guess lvm and Gentoo and Xen is asking too much at this time, I'll have to
> retreat and not use lvm for the base system.

You are trying to do a lot of new (to you) things at once.

You appear to have a working Debian dom0 since your gentoo guest did
boot at least far enough to stop in the initramfs.

I'd start simpler and try to get a Debian guest working, then
a gentoo guest, both without using LVM in the guests.

Cheers,
Andy