Disconnect vbd from domU

Hi,

Is it possible to trigger the disconnection of a block device from the
domU?  I've managed to close the device from the domU with the
following command but it still remains connected to the domain.

echo vbd-51712 > /sys/bus/xen/drivers/vbd/unbind

What I'm trying to achieve is booting from a ceph rbd which is mapped
in dom0 but in the initrd disconnect the block device and then mount
the root filesystem directly from the ceph cluster rather than block
back/front.  I think this should let me live migrate the machine
without having to map the rbd device in every dom0.

Thanks,
James