Xenconsole defaults to 80x20

All,

I know this has been asked in the past.  I've searched the web and found
it asked a few more times but never a very definative answer.

When I use xl console to connect to the console of a Xen Guest, the
console defaults to 80x20.  One can manually adjust the console size
using resize or TERM=, although it would be nice if this happened
automatically, like when opening a xterm.

Has anyone come across a mechanism to make this happen?

Incidently, does anyone know why it doesn't work?  I understand it's
something to do with xenconsole not passing the terminal dimensions
along to the guest?  The answers I've seen are a little vague and seem
to end with "but I don't really understand terminals".  Neither do I!

Regards,
Mike.