Re: Effect in guest of a hard read error from the host's storage ?

On 07.04.22 12:10, George Dunlap wrote:

On Sat, Apr 2, 2022 at 8:28 PM Simon Hobson <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Not having experienced it on any of my Xen systems I’ve managed in the past,
    I just wanted to check what happens when the host’s storage encounters an
    unrecoverable read error ?
    My expectation would be that the error would be passed up the chain (host’s
    OS, virtual disk emulator, guest OS disk driver, guest OS filesystem, guest
    OS program), appear as an unrecoverable error to the guest, and hence passed
    up to the program attempting to read the file - so really nothing different
    to the same error on bare metal.

    Has anyone encountered this, and can confirm if that’s how Xen+Linux handles
    it ?

Juergen / Roger / Anthony -- any idea what would happen with either blkback or qdisk on a hard read error?  (Or blktap, for that matter?)

Any I/O error for a request issued via the PV block device protocol will be
handed back to the frontend via a generic error "BLKIF_RSP_ERROR", which is
handed back to the block layer as I/O error on the guest side.

Juergen