Re: [MirageOS-devel] Irmin roadmap

> Le vendredi, 21 novembre 2014 Ã 17:18, Thomas Gazagnaire a Ãcrit :
>> - All the operations in a store now take a **mandatory** `origin` argument,
>> even the read operation [2] (before, only the merge operations where
>> requiring it).
>
> Naive, uninformed question. I read getting a store handle is cheap and can be
> used multiple time, wouldn't it make sense to ask the origin on handle
> creation and store it there ? That would avoid having to pass it along to
> each of the functions. Suppose I want to work with two origins, with the
> current scheme I need to work with three values. With the origin bundled in
> the store, I need to work only with two values.

Hum, indeed, that makes sense. There some cases where you can build a [t]
without calling [create] (see [1]) but these functions could take an [origin]
as argument as well. The initial idea was to have a new origin for every
high-level operation (the origin contains the date of the call for instance),
but this is not enforced by the API anyway, so I guess I could try to simplify.

Thanks for the feedback,
Thomas

[1]: http://samoht.github.io/irmin/Irmin.Store.BC.html#VALof_tag