Re: [Minios-devel] Some queries regarding Unikraft on x86/arm

Hey Ajay,

On 04.04.2018 05:05, Ajay Garg wrote:
Thanks Wei for the crisp reply !!
Waiting for Simon's insights on Unikraft-x86 on Xen :)

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM, Wei Chen <Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx <mailto:Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Ajay,____

    __ __

    > a) Unikraft (for arm32) is built using HVM mode, and will _only_
    work with processors that have hardware-virtualization enabled,
    right?____

    __ __

    Yes, that’s right. Currently, for arm32-unikraft, we plan to support
    Xen and Linux/KVM.____

    Both of them need hardware virtualization enabled processors.____

Correct. ;-)

    __ __

    > b) Unikraft (for x86) also uses HVM mode, and works _only_ with
processors that have hardware-virtualization enabled, right?____

    > Or Unikraft works/can-work using PV mode?____

    __ __

    Unikraft-x86 of KVM platform uses HVM mode, it should require
    hardware virtualization____

    enabled processors. But it seems the Unikraft-x86 of Xen platform is
    using PV-mode.____

    I am not sure about it, but I think Simon could give you a clear
    answer.____

Also correct. Unikraft on Xen is PV only, for now. We actually plan to support PVH/HVM on Xen in the future. These two modes also require hardware virtualization capabilities. Please note that there are patches for Xen's PV mode because of Meltdown which might also require virtualization capabilities on your CPU.

    __ __

    Regards,____

    Wei Chen____

Thanks,